In order to really understand what sin is, we’ve got to look at the Ten Commandments. The Ten Commandments can tell us what are sins and where they fall into place. I think its important to realize that they are here to help us to live a better life, a happier life. So, without further a due, lets see them!
1. I am the Lord Your God. You shall not have strange gods before me.
2. You shall no take the name of the Lord Your God in vain.
3. Remember to keep holy the Lord’s Day.
4. Honor your father and mother.
5. You shall not kill.
6. You shall not commit adultery.
7. You shall not steal.
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
9. You shall not desire your neighbor’s wife.
10. You shall not desire your neighbor’s goods.
I highly suggest that you memorize these as it becomes important later on when you go to examine your conscience. God gave us these not to entrap us in slavery, but to give us freedom from sin. When we can’t say no, and can only say yes, our yes no longer has meaning. It also shows us that when all we can do is say yes, we have become slaves to whatever it is we are saying yes to.
Alcoholics can not say no to the temptation of drinking, they are slaves to it. Yet, we have the opposite attitude when it comes to other sins. Society constantly tells us that in order to have freedom, we have to be able to say yes, but that is wrong. We need to be able to say yes or no when it comes to an option, and that is what freedom is. Being able to make that determination is what sets us free and that is what true freedom is about.